Disability Benefit 101: Going through the Application and Evaluation Process
Disability benefits are essential for people with disabilities. The financial assistance they can obtain through these claims would help them pay for their medication, therapies, and other expenses. Unfortunately, it is not easy to submit applications and recover benefits in a disability claim because of the claimant’s condition. That is why seeking legal representation is essential.
Getting a Los Angeles disability lawyer is one way to ease this burden. With the help of an experienced legal representative, you would have better chances of getting approved. Below is a step-by-step process on how to apply for disability benefits and go through the evaluation process:
- Make sure that you are indeed suffering from a disability. Your condition should prevent you from performing simple everyday activities and tasks.
- Get medical documents and recommendations from experts. Before applying, you should complete the necessary medical checkups and examinations. You should also get a recommendation from a licensed physician to certify your need for disability benefits.
- Determine what disability benefits you are going to apply. There are two main benefits that you can apply for: Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI). Each type of disability benefit caters to a certain group of disabled individuals.
- Let your attorney submit your initial application to the state department. Your disability lawyer would know where and to whom he should submit the disability claim application.
- Provide additional records needed for disability evaluation. For several days to a few weeks, the local office will review your application.
- Wait for a few weeks until the first stage of the evaluation process is finished. Patience is important when applying for disability benefits. Every year, millions of disabled Americans apply for these privileges.
- The Disability Determination Services (DDS) will forward your application to the Social Security Administration (SSA) office.
In case your application was denied, you can still file an appeal with the SSA. Of course you still need the help of your disability attorney to handle the paperwork for your claim. You will have up to three opportunities to apply for disability benefits and get approved.
Getting disability benefits is the only hope for a disabled individual to recover and start a new life. But it all takes patience and determination to get such benefits. If you are able to withstand weeks and even months of waiting, your patience may be rewarded.
Our Disability Specialties
5723 Melrose Ave. #103
Los Angeles, CA 90038
- Tel No: (310) 921- 7050
- Email: [email protected]