Free Case Review

Elderly Californians Rely on SS Benefits for Survival

October 19, 2012

Sacramento—Sad as it is, a great number of elderly people in California rely solely on their monthly SS checks to be able to make ends meet.

Records from the Social Security Administration (SSA) revealed that one out of five elderly California citizens typically earn only 10 percent of their total income, with the remaining 90 percent or greater actually coming from Social Security.

The same is true with some 46 percent of single or widowed SS beneficiaries.

Additionally, SSA data showed that roughly 52 percent of senior Californians actually benefit from social security checks by as much as half of their total income despite having savings and pension plans.

An even more shocking discovery by a Wells Fargo study: a third of all retirees belonging to the baby boomer generation are found to lack any sort of retirement savings, which only means that what elderly Californians experience could be replicated nationally.

For Marcia Howard, 89, it’s always been a worrying game for quite some time already.

”I worry about making ends meet. I can’t go out and buy new clothes. I buy my pants for $7 at Wal-Mart,” she said.

She added that she has to “watch what I spend. I can’t do what I used to. If we go to lunch, it’s Taco Bell. I never thought about having to pinch pennies at this age.”

First Name  
Last Name  
Address  
City  
State  
Zipcode  
Phone  
Email  
Details  

  Type the letters below:  
Captcha Image